This is a story about two people from different continents brought together by the sunshine state, their faith in God, and their dorkiness and love for each other

Saturday, March 5, 2011

My Apo

Today, my Apo moved in with us!
This woman is truly amazing not only is she a truly devout Christian, she's also an amazing grandmother. She really tries her best to be Christ-like every day. She has done so much for this family. I know she has definitely made such an impact on me. Her husband past away when my Mama was still young and so, she had to raise her kids by herself. She seriously went through sweat and pain. From waking up bright and early to sell fish around town, to working abroad and sacrificing her time with her family. Not once, did she ever forget about the Lord! Another thing that I admire about my Apo is her sense of respect and tolerance. She would always tell us that even though she's Catholic and we are Latter-day Saints, she is just very happy that we go to church every Sunday and that we worship the Lord. I have never heard her talk bad about the Mormons or any other religion for that matter. I mean seriously this woman would do anything for the Lord without any doubt or questions.
           When I was young, my parents both had to work in the city and I would stay at Apo at her house in this province called Guagua, Pampanga. Every weekend, I remember clearly looking out this huge wooden window, waiting for my parents to come out of this big bus. Apo took very good care of me. Since I've been exposed to the whole marriage concept, I've always prayed that my Apo will be around at least for my wedding. This was back when I thought Apo was REALLY ancient and as I grew older, I realized, she's only  60+ years old right now and she's still kicking! haha So now, I want her to say alive until I have my last child or even until they all go to college. Wishful thinking never hurts.
          With my Apo, things are pretty  much in routine. When I was in college especially, I tried my best to call her after church every week. She would always tell me stories and give me advice then she'll say it again, not realizing that she had already told me before. I think everyone in my family knows her schedule. She wakes up around 1 or 2 am to pray then goes back to sleep and wakes up around 7 am then she goes about her day doing what she does which is usually asking us what we want to eat or to eat rice, tell us more stories, do her little exercise then when 3 o'clock comes around, she's back on her knees to pray for about 2 or more hours then she eats dinner and do some more stuff until her bedtime which is at 6 or 7 o'clock. I love her.
         Anyway, I didn't mean to write so much about her but I suppose she does deserve it. I'm sure I'll have more chance to talk about her later on since she is staying at our house now for good. I look forward to spending my time with her until I moved out of the house when I become Mrs. Grace Simpson. When I got engage to Brian, I was so nervous to tell her about the news because I didn't really know how she would react. When I called her about it, she told me, "As long as you are happy, I am happy too"
         I am very grateful for all her love and support. I couldn't ask for a better grandma especially when she buys a huge box filled with noodles for the wedding haha. Mahal kita Apo!

Fun Fact

  • She loves to eat oatmeal
  • Her favorite hymn is "How Great Thou Art"
  • She prefers not wearing her dentures and would actually go public without them
  • She has never painted her nails before
  • She uses vinegar for almost everything
  • She worked at Chick-fil-A and brought her own candy to pass out to customers and co-workers
  • She likes to visit the 208 ft Cross at the Mission in St Augustine, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment