This is a story about two people from different continents brought together by the sunshine state, their faith in God, and their dorkiness and love for each other

Friday, March 11, 2011

Not just because he can pick up his own socks



I apologize ahead of time if I happen to offend anyone with this post but I really just have to vent. 
I was at work today and a couple of my co-workers were having a casual conversation. I kept myself busy with work while they chatted away. Next thing I knew, the attention was on me. One of them, we'll call her Sammy, asked me when I was getting married and I said July 30th.
Then, she followed by asking, "Are you ready for it?"
With much enthusiasm, I replied, "Oh yes I am! I can't wait."
My other co-worker, Carrie, jumped out of her seat and as she walked towards my desk she said, "You are?!" Then they cynically chuckled together as if I just made a fool out of myself.

Sammy eventually got a hold of herself and said, "You don't know how marriage is. You're too young. Plus, one day you're going to find out that he drinks juice straight out of the jug and that he doesn't clean up after himself and you're gonna be like 'ewww'.That's why it's important to live together first. Ain't that right Carrie?"
"Uh-huh. That is so right." Carrie replied with her not so womanly, steroid- driven voice.
Mind you, Sammy's lesbian and have never been married before. Now I have nothing against gays or lesbians and what not but this particular person really just ticked me off. Carrie is currently married and claims to be Christian. The funny thing is, I NEVER asked for their opinion/ advice. Now, you're probably wondering what did I do, what was my reaction, or thinking to yourself, "If I were you, I would've..."
Well yeah, I could've said something and I seriously did wanted to say something but I really didn't want to waste my saliva on ignorant, pessimistic people who sees marriage as a contract rather than as a covenant between a husband, wife and the Lord. Plus, Carrie is kind of my boss and I can't really afford to be in a situation right now.
I felt them watching and anticipating for some kind of a reaction from me but I simply just bit my tongue and resisted myself, as hard as I could, from initiating any confrontation. Instead, I focused myself back to work and eventually they went back to their own conversation and left the room.
I have no idea where they went or if they kept talking about me but I was glad they were gone. I was able to pray quickly for some peace of mind and I'm very grateful that I was able to resist myself from causing any contention. I had to keep telling myself to forget what just happened and to remember what matters most.
I know that I'm very very grateful for the knowledge that Brian and I will be sealed together not just 'til death do us part' but for time and eternity. It truly is a divine comfort and blessing. I know that my decision to marry Brian is not just because he can pick up his own socks but because he is a good man and he treats me like a daughter of God. I couldn't ask for a better companion. I love him and I will hold on to that truth. I love the gospel and for the Lord's tender mercies and for the shower of blessings he has bestowed upon me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you Grace! I got the same thing right before I got married too... People kept telling me I didn't know what I was getting into and that I was too young. And you know what My hubby and I are about to celebrate our 2nd anniversary on Sunday. I couldn't be happier. I still see those people every now and then because they come into my work and they ask me "Are you still Married?" and I reply "Yep! And Loving every minute of it. I married my best friend"
    Don't let people upset you, they don't understand. Being married to your best friend and eternal companion is one of the greatest blessings of all time! I'm so happy for you and Brian!

    ReplyDelete